If I Had My Child to Raise Over Again by Diane Loomans

If I had my child to raise all over again,
I'd finger-paint more, and point the fingers less.
I would do less correcting and more connecting.
I'd take my eyes off my watch, and watch with my eyes.
I would care to know less and know to care more.
I'd take more hikes and fly more kites.
I'd stop playing serious, and seriously play.
I would run through more fields and gaze at more stars.

I'd do more hugging and less tugging.
I'd build self-esteem first, and the house later.
I would be firm less often, and affirm much more.
I'd teach less about the love of power, And more about the power of love.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Child Socialization Strategies and Techniques


Life affords no greater responsibility, no greater privilege,
than the raising of the next generation.

~ C. Everett Koop

The next chapter for my blog is Chapter 4 - Child Socialization Strategies and Techniques.  This chapter particularly hit home because of the on-going stress I have with my 8 year old. 

Almost as long as I can remember, she has been a very strong-willed child that has been the hardest for me to parent.  I have taken her to counselors, had blood work done and have other parents talk to her but it always seems that it eventually comes back to her misbehaving to mainly me and her sister is nothing to blame but her own desire to be good or not.  As I researched this chapter, I found the below items to be very useful to me.  The more I have looked, the more I realized there is information out there for exactly my situation.

Family Matters Parenting Magazine - This site has numerous sections for assistance.  It provides information about problems you may be having but also inspirational quotes and poems.

Livestrong Website - This site really surprised me as I only thought of it as a cancer support site.  But it is so much more than that!  It offers great information on healthy eating, getting fit, family health, weight management and so much more!

Reducing Behavioral Problems Through Functional Communication Training

Difficult Children by Gene Bedley
Difficult Children, some times need probation
If I don’t get help I’ll need a vacation.

Difficult Children, both stubborn and defiant,
Their every move is less than compliant.

Difficult Children, view school a different way,
Their desire for attention challenges my day.

Difficult Children, fit every description
I’ll go anywhere to find a prescription

Difficult Children, they’re hard to endure
They cause me to dig deep to find a cure.

Difficult Children, add to my load,
Making poor choices as they travel life’s road.

Difficult Children, have blind spots galore,
Increasing their options only adds pain and more.

Difficult Children, some days you’d expel Perhaps they are gifted, only time will tell.

Difficult Children, are absolute stress,
They’re really my teachers, it’s only a test.

Difficult Children, impulsive and bold,
Their history and future are yet to unfold.

Difficult Children, from difficult domains
Love, logic and limits will produce daily gains




No comments:

Post a Comment